Action Alert: update on SB 12
SB 12, a bill to give superintendents more of a say with the hiring of school principals, passed the House Education Committee today with a vote of 23-3. The bill was amended to include the following compromise between the teachers, administrators, superintendents and school boards.
- During the principal selection process, the outgoing principal shall not serve on the school council.
- The superintendent or the superintendent’s designee shall serve as the chair of the council for the purpose of the hiring process. The superintendent shall have voting rights during the selection process.
- No principal who has been previously removed or demoted for cause within the district from a position may be considered for appointment as principal.
- The principal shall be elected on a majority vote of the membership of the school council.
- Any meeting of three or more members of the school council shall be subject to existing open meetings laws including any necessary public notification.
Keep the phone calls and emails to your representative coming! The next step for this bill will be a vote on by the full House. Encourage your representative to vote YES on SB 12. Call and leave a message at 1-800-372-7181.