On Wednesday afternoon Kentucky’s House Leadership announced who would be leading the legislative committees going into the 2023 General Assembly.
“This is a tremendously talented group of individuals who are well-prepared to take the lead on these issues. I’m grateful that they are willing to serve our Commonwealth and look forward to continuing our efforts to make Kentucky an even better place to call home,” Speaker of the House David Osborne said. “This is not only a major time commitment but a demanding role that requires they use their experience and expertise to craft solid, intentional policies that benefit all Kentuckians.”
Since 2017, there have been several new members added to the majority party and many committees will have new leaders.
In 2023, the former House Health and Family Services Committee will be split into two. Rep. Kim Moser will chair the House Health Committee with Rep. Ryan Dotson serving as vice chair. Rep. Samara Heavrin will chair the House Family Services committee with Representative Steve Riley Serving as vice chair.
With Rep. Regina Huff’s retirement, the House Education Committee will be led by Rep. James Tipton as chair and Rep. Timmy Truett as vice chair.
Rep. Michael Meredith, former chair of the House Local Government Committee, will now lead the House Banking and Insurance Committee. Taking over the Local Government Committee as chair will be Representative Randy Bridges, with Rep. Josh Bray as vice chair.
The House Judiciary Committee will be led by Rep. Daniel Elliott as chair with Rep. Jennifer Decker as vice chair.
The House Transportation Committee will be led by Rep. John Blanton as chair with Rep. Jonathan Dixon as vice chair.
Leading the House State Government Committee will be Rep. David Hale as chair with Rep. Mary Beth Imes as vice chair.
The House Licensing, Occupations and Administrative Regulations Committee will be chaired by Rep. Matt Koch with Rep. Tom O’Dell Smith as vice chair.
Below is the complete list of committees and who be serving as the chair and vice chairs:
- Agriculture – Rep. Richard Heath, Chair and Rep. Dan Fister, Vice Chair
- Appropriations and Revenue – Rep. Jason Petrie, Chair and Rep. Brandon Reed, Vice Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Protection, Tourism, and Energy – Rep. Chris Fugate, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on General Government – Rep. Chris Freeland, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Health and Family Services – Rep. Danny Bentley, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Justice, Public Safety, and Judiciary – Rep. Patrick Flannery, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Personnel, Public Retirement, and Finance – Rep. Ken Fleming, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Postsecondary Education – Rep. Bobby McCool, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Primary and Secondary Education and Workforce Development – Rep. Kim Banta, Chair
- Budget Review Subcommittee on Transportation – Rep. Ken Upchurch, Chair
- Banking and Insurance – Rep. Michael Meredith, Chair and Rep. Matt Lockett, Vice Chair, and Rep. Sarge Pollock, Vice Chair
- Economic Development and Workforce Investment – Rep. Russell Webber, Chair and Representative Josh Branscum, Vice Chair
- Education – Rep. James Tipton, Chair, Representative Timmy Truett, Vice Chair, and Representative Shane Baker, Vice Chair
- Elections, Constitutional Amendments and Intergovernmental Affairs – Rep. Kevin Bratcher, Chair and Rep. Josh Calloway, Vice Chair
- Enrollment – Rep. Thomas Huff, Chair
- Health – Rep. Kim Moser, Chair and Rep. Ryan Dotson, Vice Chair
- Family Services – Rep. Samara Heavrin, Chair and Rep. Steve Riley, Vice Chair
- Judiciary – Rep. Daniel Elliott, Chair and Rep. Jennifer Henson Decker, Vice Chair
- Licensing, Occupations, and Administrative Regulations – Rep. Matt Koch, Chair and Rep. Tom O’Dell Smith, Vice Chair
- Local Government – Rep. Randy Bridges, Chair and Rep. Josh Bray, Vice Chair
- Natural Resources and Energy – Rep. Jim Gooch, Chair, Rep. Bill Wesley, Vice Chair, and Rep. Richard White, Vice Chair
- Small Business and Information Technology – Rep. Phillip Pratt, Chair and Rep. William Lawrence, Vice Chair
- State Government – Rep. David Hale, Chair and Rep. Mary Beth Imes, Vice Chair
- Tourism and Outdoor Recreation – Rep. Kim King, Chair and Rep. Shawn McPherson, Vice Chair
- Transportation – Rep. John Blanton, Chair and Rep. Jonathan Dixon, Vice Chair
- Veterans, Military Affairs, and Public Protection – Rep. Walker Thomas, Chair and Rep. Scott Sharp, Vice Chair
Statutory committees are authorized to meet annually to provide oversight and probe specific issue areas. Membership of these panels is comprised of both House and Senate members. House statutory committee leadership includes:
- Administrative Regulation Review Subcommittee – Rep. Derek Lewis, Chair
- Capital Planning Advisory Board – Rep. Nancy Tate, Chair
- Capital Projects and Bond Oversight – Rep. Deanna Frazier Gordon, Chair
- Commission on Race and Access to Opportunity – Rep. Killian Timoney, Chair
- Education Assessment and Accountability Review Subcommittee – Rep. Scott Lewis, Chair
- Government Contract Review – Rep. Mark Hart, Chair
- Legislative Oversight and Investigations – Rep. Adam Bowling, Chair
- Public Pension Oversight Board – Rep. DJ Johnson, Chair
- Tobacco Settlement Agreement Fund Oversight Committee – Rep. Myron Dossett, Chair